Birthplace: Atlanta, GA
Born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1880 as James Oscar Bass. James opened his first blacksmith shop at Quitaque, TX in 1897 and began making spurs with the distinctive Bass style as a sideline. Early spurs were straight with long shank, squared off narrow heel band and swinging buttons. He moved to Tulia, TX in 1905 making spurs to order--often using initials and brands or a mixture of silver and copper decorations. On many spurs he used a half-silver, half-copper, heart shaped button, a Bass trademark. James issued his first catalog about 1909. Tom Mix wore his spurs, as did many of the Texas Rangers. He made his last pair of spurs in 1924.